Electricity is ubiquitous and dangerous. It can cause burns, falls, electric shock and even fatal electrocution. The best way to deal with electric shocks is to not get shocked at all. Be careful and be prepared!
Inspect all tools, electrical systems and equipment before use. Remove anything damaged or defective from service. Use equipment according to its directions and inspect all equipment, and use distinctively marked, double-insulated tools and equipment where appropriate.
When working with tools, you should make sure those tools are grounded. Inspect electrical systems and equipment to make sure they are grounded properly. Do not remove ground prongs from cord- and plug-connected equipment or extension cords. Ground all power supply systems, electrical circuits, electrical equipment, and exposed metal parts of equipment.
When working near power lines, extra caution is advised. Post warning signs for overhead power lines and buried power line indicators, and call 811 before you dig. Stay at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines. De-energize and ground lines when working near them; assume overhead lines are energized. Guard or insulate the lines. Use non-conductive wood or fiberglass ladders when working near power lines.
If someone does suffer from an electric shock injury, look first, but don’t touch. Try not to touch burns. If you can, turn off the source of electricity. If not, move the source away from you and the affected person using a non-conducting object. Call 911 and start first aid and CPR if necessary.