OSHA states that a load should be approached slowly and carefully.
-The forklift operator should stop 8 to 12 inches (20 to 30 cms) from the load.
- It should be ensured that the forklift is placed squarely facing the load and the forks are positioned at the correct height.
- The direction control should be set to neutral.
- Forks should not be raised or lowered unless the forklift is brought to a complete stop and the brakes are set.
- Operators should ensure that there is enough overhead clearance as vision gets obstructed after the load is lifted.
- The inching pedal should be used to move the load stealthily to the stack.