If you’re unable to escape the building, you should create an area of refuge by-
- Sealing the room. Stuff wet cloth around cracks in doors, and seal up vents. This stops the smoke from coming through such openings.
- Keeping windows and doors closed. Do not break windows. Smoke and flames can come in from the inside. Crack open a window slightly if you need air.
- Staying low under smoke. Smoke, heat, and poisonous gases rise, leaving the freshest air closer to the floor. Remember to cover your nose and mouth with a wet cloth.
- Breathing only through your nose.
- Hanging something in the window to signal for help.